Whether we are still working from home or running a small business, individuals are always trying to find new ways to stay productive. There is no such thing as “wasting time” because we all have the same 24 hours in a day. Some hours are used productively while others use the time to watch videos on YouTube.
2021 is flying by and it’s time to optimize the amount of time we have. We never know when our time might run out. How do we overcome task that is boring, not engaging or cause high anxiety? “You can’t become more productive overnight. But if you make small changes and put some of these habits into place, you’ll be well on your way to becoming more efficient.”
- Focus on most important tasks first
- Whether it’s a school presentation or preparing for your weekly Zoom meeting, you must acknowledge what task needs to be accomplished first. If you know you have to present a budget recommendation to the CFO, you know it has to be completed by a certain deadline. If it’s important to you then you will care for it and make sure it’s completed in a professional manner.
- Cultivate deep work
- “At the same time, some tasks are just difficult. You can’t multitask your way to finishing them. You need to devote serious time and mental effort to knocking them out of the park. These tasks are called “deep work.”
- Keep a distraction list to stay focused
- You know what distracts you the most. Is it checking social media every five minutes? Is it gossiping with another coworker? Is online shopping a distraction? Keep a list nearby and focus on what needs to be completed first before you reward yourself.
- Use the 80/20 rule
- 80% of the results will come from 20% of the efforts. In other words, focus on the early 20% which are the more important, and divide your day to complete the final 80%. This will force to stay focus because you will have a full day planned out.
- Take breaks
- Taking breaks is a good way to avoid stress. Stress and anxiety are two leading causes that will not allow work to get done. Maybe your workplace is stressful. It might be a good idea to find a quiet area and finish your work there.